« your democracy is hackable | Main | wired to the max »

September 18, 2006

should I use blackface on my blog?

should I use blackface on my blog?

Because I am, as one of my cousins once disdainfully put it, "some kind of paid, so-called racial expert" I'm often asked to provide direction on this or that question of racial etiquette. Recently a number of people have asked me to help them decide whether or not it's appropriate for them to photoshop blackface onto various offending politicians.

This is a highly complicated question, requiring that one juggle a number of aesthetic, political and racial conundrums. During my time as an internet executive, I learned that basically anything could be explained to anyone using an Excel spreadsheet, so as an aid to bloggers and civilians everywhere I've put together a handy process-flow/spreadsheet that I believe should answer folks' various questions lickity-split.

So: should you use blackface on your blog? Click here to find out! (It's a big file; give it a minute to load if yer using a slow connection.)

- your friend in racial spreadsheeting,
ebogjonson

Posted by ebogjonson in race and other identities, on September 18, 2006 3:25 AM

Comments

That chart is fabulous; it must have taken you a long time to do it.

Posted by: Rachel S. at September 23, 2006 10:12 AM

Thanks!

Not that long, although I did it while I was supposed to be working on something else. :(

Posted by: ebog at September 26, 2006 10:33 AM

I like how you get down. That's genius. Thorough and sweet.

Posted by: Temple3 at September 26, 2006 12:24 PM

Oh. My. Gawd. Way to clever for words!

You must be some kind of serious Virgo to have kept all of that straight in yer head.

Best laugh I have had all day!

Posted by: Sunrunner at September 27, 2006 4:56 PM

BTW -- you should (if you have the energy or interest, that is!) make this into a poster. I kept wanting to print it out, but it would need more than a 8x11.5.

Posted by: Sunrunner at September 28, 2006 5:09 AM

Ha! Absolutely brilliant.

Posted by: Kevin at September 28, 2006 2:16 PM

bookmarking this...somehow, i have a bad feeling this question is going to come up again.

Posted by: sly civilian at September 28, 2006 8:44 PM

Totally Genius! Ditto I'm trying to print this out and NO GO! If I may put in my request for a poster of this chart. I love your wit!

Posted by: wordzfromche at September 29, 2006 9:42 AM

OMFG! I am so putting this on my front page.

YOU KNOW ABOUT THE JAPANESE TOOTHPASTE! You, my friend, are a rock star. What the name of the product? Sambo or something?

I am pretty sure Colgate-Palmolive of Japan at one point owned that toothpaste. I have a vague recollection of having to write a an internal memo (I was the "communicatrix" of the US and Global Consumer Affairs Department for 4 years) on how to deal with the racial "interpretation" of the brand. I just said you can't 'cause it's racist.

Posted by: liza Sabater at September 30, 2006 7:51 AM

BTW ... Maybe through iPhoto it could be printed as a poster. Did you sign it? Please do, 'cause I'd loooooove to have a copy.

OOoh! OOOOOh! Try CafePress! or Lulu.com (i think they do posters). Ping me if you want to bounce off ideas. This would make an AWESOME Xmas gift.

Posted by: liza Sabater at September 30, 2006 7:54 AM

wow! poster requests!

I am on the east coast at a videogame party - http://www.speciaalzwaargokken.com - but once I am back home I will see what I can whip up

g

Posted by: ebog/gary at October 1, 2006 2:43 PM

Awesome, awesome stuff!

Posted by: odanu at October 2, 2006 5:52 PM

Posted by: Older at October 2, 2006 6:34 PM

The Japanese toothpaste was called "Darky." We have a tube of it. Which we keep hidden of course. Later on they changed the name to (I think) "Larky." - Older

My gf found a tube of this in Thailand and purchased it for her colection of "look at how the rest of the world views us African-Americans" products. They now sell it (both abroad and even in the states) as "Darling" toothpaste and the picture has been "de-stereotyped" so to speak.

Posted by: DAS at October 3, 2006 8:27 AM

This is absolutely amazing! I really hope that you decide to make this into a poster because I would definitely buy it. I am linking to this post tonight. You, my friend, are a genius!

Posted by: bintalshamsa at October 9, 2006 9:57 PM

Late to the party--But that is so so funny and a true work of genius. Hats off to you.

Posted by: Yvette at November 6, 2006 6:16 PM

I'm Sandra,
from Taiwan,
and I'm 17 y.o

Hi, All
I've studied English sinse Winter .
It's so hard Language!
I would like like to meet boys and girls and practisice My English with them.

Posted by: LitliGirL at December 7, 2006 1:44 PM