« the mahablog: naughty words and pictures | Main | now THIS is punk rock! »

December 4, 2006

the dreamlife of potted plants

Free Firedog Lake!

If I knew more about music, I would say the above mash-up was be sung to the tune of Skrewdriver's "Prisoner of Peace." References to the Firedoglake quotes being paraphrased above can be found here, here and here.

Also, for the big picture, Donna over at The Silence of Our Friends brings the round-up/metacommentary here.

Just for the stupids in the world, I want to say that I am in no way directly suggesting that any Firedoglake front-pager is a skinhead or Nazi. I'm just testing the limits of punk / photoshop communication on blogs. The point here isn't that anyone expects perfection from their bloggers. It's that if someone calls bullshit on you, try not to respond by offering up your ridiculous, delusional, fantasy alter-egos, this as if your schtick actually constituted some kind of aesthetic, political or programmatic rationale. No offense, but you guys ain't punk rock for shit, not even do-gooder SHARP punks. I'm not saying I am or was, but I ran into a few back in my youth and I kind of have a feeling they would think you're poseur idiots.

Posted by ebogjonson in blogish, memory, politricknal sciences, on December 4, 2006 2:03 PM

Comments

I give it a 9 - it's got a good beat and you can dance to it.

Posted by: op99 at December 4, 2006 8:15 PM

i dunno about them, (well, yes i do; they're self-parody at this point) but dude, you rock.

Posted by: belledame222 at December 4, 2006 8:25 PM

Absolutely brilliant!

I love your choices of potted plants and instruments... and especially the morphing words, and the conflation of FDL with Rudolph Hess.

Posted by: Karen M at December 4, 2006 8:26 PM

Ebog - I'm laughing too hard to actually come up with an intelligable comment! Thank you for your humor, your irreverance, and might I say, your musicality?

About 25 years ago my best friend and I formed a number of punk bands, the longest venture lasting about 4 weeks. Our best song was "I Like You 'Cause You're Ugly". We tried so hard...Most people didn't get it, but our lead singer had boundless charm and good energy. I'd guess we had more fans true fans wishing us great success than the crazy Lake does today - which isn't saying much!

Ebog - I like you 'cause you're funny.

Posted by: shoephone at December 4, 2006 8:35 PM

ebogjonson, what can I say? Awesome as always. So goddamn original and on-point.

I'm liking the direction in which you appear to be steering your blog. I think some of these storyboards and visual concepts you crank out belong on Comedy Central or some production studio where the ideas could be expressed more elaborately; but I know you've already come out the other end of the media tunnel so I understand.

Anyway, thank you.

Posted by: Kai at December 4, 2006 11:08 PM

You guys are going to make me blush with embarassment, which, actually, given my particular form of black diasporic extraction, can be a fairly dramatic and pronounced spectacle.

Kai: I really appreciate your comment above. I have the standard neurotic relationship to writing - love it; hate it; can churn out blog entries and emails all day; procrastinate on the bill paying kind - so it's theraputic to make even the minimal shift of searching for and piling images on top of one another. (There is still a lot of writing on those panels. I'm thinking a smaller frame size might impose a little more conscision and discipline on me.)

Also, I have a dangerous perfectionist / noodling streak, so making peace with the great, overriding fact _that I don't really know how to use photoshop_ is also pretty liberating.

But if you have any CC hook-ups send them my way; I may have come out of the other end of the media tunnel but I'm not, like, crazy!

Posted by: ebog at December 5, 2006 12:38 AM

You don't know how to use photoshop? That is kind of like saying (and she hasn't had her first cup of coffee so she is frantically searching for a workable metaphor) that Jackson Pollock didn't know anything about painting. Or better yet, that Basquiat (sp?) didn't *really* know how to draw. Which he really did but just because you don't use it to make people look (cough) prettier.

This piece also has serious poster potential. And don't go knocking posters as not *real* art!

Anyway it is beyond dispute that when it comes to excel, you are the King!

Posted by: Sunrunner at December 5, 2006 5:22 AM

I keep lacking intelligent things to say, but just know the brain fart is a result of me laughing my ass off. This is lovely.

Posted by: sylviasrevenge at December 5, 2006 11:27 AM

ebog,

Regarding your very punk-like statement that it's "liberating" for you to express yourself using an instrument that you "don't really know how to use", I believe the saying is: "Who cares if you can play as long as you can kick ass!"

Also, somewhat amazingly, I found this:

"Prisoners of Envy: Wal*Mart Nihilism Versus the Punk Rock of Blogging"

Posted by: Kai at December 5, 2006 11:42 PM

from that prisoners of envy piece:

"-- and forever establishing the enduring principle that being an imbecilic Rock and Roll egoist should be a democratic process --"

all hail universal rock/roll imbecilic egoism!

Posted by: ebog at December 6, 2006 9:08 AM