ebogjonson.com's link dump archive
September 4, 2006
Posted by ebogjonson at 10:06 PM | Permalink
August 28, 2006
wash my hair, please
Anglophone African shampoo advert, circa 1960, via we make money not art:
Also on youtube, an ad for bug spray from the Ivory Coast:
That last one strikes me as a potential parody, but then again Kola Boof struck me as a web-art performance piece the first time I encountered her.
Posted by ebogjonson at 7:47 AM | Permalink
June 15, 2006
ebog link dump 00002
Me, I'm still taking it light. Other folks seem to be on the stick, however:
- jace/rupture is on tour with/as Nettle: "After umpteen hours in the airport, we leave limbo without a bandmember. The airport store stocks between 50 and 70 different varieties of what British people call crisps. Americans say potato chips. They sport titles like "savory moroccan lamb and gentle lime twists". Clear evidence of an empire in decline. London is the senile brain of an aging empire in decline, with fantastic bursts of color, activity, and memory in unrelated spaces and really bad transit."
- digital Maoism?
- post-Mao digital Maoism?
- how about just plain post-Mao digital Maoist games?
- in LA June 15-17? You might want to attend the first ever Nollywood Foundation convention and festival. [hat tip The Timbuktu Chronicles]
- shame on the Congressional Black Caucus... again
- Mixed Media Watch Watch: This kind of middlebrow yackity-smack really does crack me up. Someday I'm going to write a lengthy post about Mixed Media Watch, but for now let's just say that the constant "is it me, or what?" kvetching pretty much encapsulates everything that's wrong with the bourgie mixed race "movement." Lameness and hackery are no crimes in and of themselves, but come on, ladies: "Biracial Girl on Televison" or "Biracial Student Teased" or "White Mom of Trans-Racial Adoptee Gets Mean Stare" (I'm not making that last one up) are not news. That kind of narcissistic drool isn't "Mixed Media Watch" but "Mixed Media Slow News Day", or maybe "Mixed Media I've Run Out Of Ideas But I Have This Consultancy and Need To Justify Charging Fundamentally Evil Corporate HR Departments A Pretty Penny For Lawsuit Insurance Cloaked as Diversity Education." (But thanks for the America's Next Top Model updates! Jade really was completely insane!)
- I mean, is it me or what?
- this post brings to mind Chris Rock's joke that when you are alone at a cash machine in the middle of the night you do not keep an eye out over your shoulder for "the media." Or do you? Black ways of processing the media have become mainstreamed in ways that neither the (white) left or the right properly understands.
Posted by ebogjonson at 7:29 PM | Permalink
May 31, 2006
ebog link dump 00001
Sorry about the postus interruptus but I am a bit in the shit what with a deadline and some brain maintenance issues/concerns. I'm looking to be back on the stick in day or two, but in the meantime here are a few links:
- the illhindu on LA's post-neo soul
- rips Desmond Dekker
- my new favorite band
- Left Behind games: play them all and let god sort them out? [hat tip mike v.]
- memorial day
- the black stake in the '06 elections
- so apparently shit really does roll uphill
- so apparently the news biz is full of hacks
- Edwige Danicat on immigration
- want to feel depressed? read about the 2004 election
- "I try to live very carefully;" not a link, just something someone said over lunch today
December 4, 2005
sweet, sweet spam
We acknowledge you for being our customer. Thus, we put wise you of
information and renovates between whiles.
On the basis of our records it seems probable that you'd like to
see a refill.
We apologize and hope you will take a jaundiced view at medicaments we
sell. Again, let us introduce our drugs at attractive prices which may be urgently needed.
We also offer you impeccable customer care. Please, visit our web site at: ........
Posted by ebogjonson at 3:28 AM | Permalink
November 14, 2005
random on, random off
Posted by ebogjonson at 11:19 PM | Permalink